Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Thanksgiving Weekend

We had a last minute change of plans and remained in town for Thanksgiving weekend.  It was bittersweet.  We missed being with my family, but enjoyed the calm of just being at home.

We kicked off the weekend with Chris' birthday celebration.  It has become an annual tradition for us to go to Zehnder's in Frankenmuth for his birthday dinner.  So...much...food... The kids thoroughly enjoyed themselves.  I have never seen Alyssa shovel food in so voraciously.



We continued the celebration when we got home with cake and presents with Nana and Papa.



This was the most delicious cheesecake I have ever eaten.  Sadly, I cannot take credit for it.

Thursday my mom came over and joined us for Thanksgiving dinner.  I had not planned on hosting Thanksgiving, so I had not planned how I would decorate our table for dinner.  Turns out there is no fall decor left in stores the week of Thanksgiving, so I did what I could with a bag of acorns and pinecones on clearance from Pier1, and some flowers from Kroger.



Lucky for me, Martha Stewart taught how to make this centerpiece on her show the previous week, so I was able to create this for much less than I could have bought it for.



Friday we embarked on our annual tradition of getting our Christmas tree.  The first year Chris and I went tree hunting together it resulted in one of our biggest fights to that date.  Each year we've gotten progressively better and this year, I'm proud to announce there were no disagreements!!  That could be due to the fact that you could not argue over the perfection of the tree we found.


Ok, now if you know Chris you know that he's 6'4".  So, the tree...yeah, a good two feet taller than him.  Let's just say there is no star a top our tree this year.  She's a beauty, but she's HUGE!  (more pics to follow in another post)

All in all a great weekend, with much to be thankful for.

2 comments:

  1. That tree of yours just might have finally pushed me back into the realm of real tree fanaticism. It's gorgeous.

    And you pulled off your Thanksgiving tablescape beautifully. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. Your table is beautiful. Your holiday decorating is inspiring. Happy belated b-day to Chris. Sounds like you had a wonderful time of celebrating. Looking forward to seeing your christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete